Learn & advocate on the DOJ Consent Decree & Report
YouTube Link: https://youtu.be/18DmTwJ8p4Y
Now is a critical time to use your voice! Iowa has long witnessed and recognized the institutionalization of people with disabilities as a pattern of egregious behavior.
The Department of Justice investigation and consent decree of Iowa’s Resource Centers are just one step in moving Iowa away from institutions to community-based settings.
Iowa APSE will continue sharing resources throughout the year, including talking points and ongoing updates and information.
Resources and Links
- Department of Justice (DOJ) Resource Center Investigation, including all DOJ Investigation Materials: https://dhs.iowa.gov/doj
- DOJ Consent Decree Summary: Click to go to PDF
Please keep this issue in mind in our communities, legislature, and the Dept. of Health and Human Services.
- You can advocate for continued transparency and compliance by attending Iowa Medicaid’s monthly town hall meetings: https://dhs.iowa.gov/ime/about/advisory-groups/townhall
- Legislatively, you can support ongoing Health Policy Oversight Committee monitoring: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/committees/committee?groupID=24165&ga=87
You can follow the efforts of groups such as:
- The Olmstead Consumer Task Force: https://www.olmsteadrealchoicesia.org/
- Upgrade Medicaid (Facebook): https://www.facebook.com/UpgradeMedicaid/
Please reach out to Iowa APSE at email@example.com with any questions!
Produced by Iowa APSE, January 2023.
Go to YouTube to view captions.