Iowa APSE is proud to have a strong, unified voice advocating for equitable employment for all Iowans with disabilities.
Over the past 25 years, APSE has pursued specific legislative and policy changes that include:
- Promoting employment opportunities for all people, through local, regional, and national networks.
- Placing an Employment First presumption in major disability laws.
- Increasing reimbursement for providers who achieve employment outcomes at minimum wage or higher for individuals with disabilities, particularly from Medicaid funds.
- Advocating with federal, state, and local legislators for legislation that promotes integrated employment.
- Working with federal, state, and local policymakers to increase funding for integrated employment.
- Raising awareness within the business community to the benefits of hiring individuals with disabilities.
- Requiring that public programs blend and braid resources on behalf of those with significant disabilities.
- Advocating for social change to help those with severe disabilities achieve a lifestyle just like those of individuals without disabilities.